Sunday, February 7, 2016

Surprise transfers!

2/01/16  Hi family,
Ready for this? We got transfer notices on Saturday and we found out we were staying together. I had accepted it, I was content. And this morning, we had just talked about what we wanted to do for pday and then started studies and... President calls. It's never good when President calls unexpectedly. Anyway. He said that he didn't feel good about the changes he had made to another companionship and that one of the Hermanas needed me. He said she needs help in her mission, not that she's a bad missionary, but she's struggling somehow and he said I can help her. So, yet again, here I am, the fixer haha.
   Anyway, so we had 2 hours this morning to pack my companion's suitcases and go to Chamartin, put my companion on a train and pick up my new companion. So, my new companion is Hermana Charlesworth. She is 21 from Utah and has 6 months in the mission. So far so good, I mean, I've only been with her 3 hours, but she seems normal and nice, so that's good! And she likes to work, so, I'm super excited for that! She has a good attitude and seems super positive, maybe she's just what this ward needs to get it moving. And, two of my favorite people, Hermana Spencer and Hermana Marsh are now companions, and I could not be happier! How awesome.

Anyway, this week was good! We met with E and he accepted a baptismal date for February 27th. He's got a ways to go still, but it's possible. He needs to be a bit more humble still, but little by
little. He for once brought his son to church. He was afraid he'd make a fuss and be irreverent, but he loved it and in fact was a bit sad to leave. So that too is progress.

We had a lot of help from the Relief Society President this week and am hoping other members will follow her lead and come to lessons with us. Not only is she helping with the investigators b also the menos activos! Woohoo! Also, my companion had a sudden desire to ask just about everyone we know for references, so that's exciting. All of our references this week were from members!

We were with Hermana K on Saturday and she was telling her son to go study and he didn't want to. She said if you don't do it now, when are you going to do it? And he said, mom I have a whole day to do it (referring to Sunday). She told him it was not ok to do it on Sunday because it's the sabbath and he told her well if we can go to my brother's rugby game and go out with old friends like last Sunday why can't I do homework. I felt bad watching and listening, but she didn't have anything to say to that, and I think it made her realize more than we ever could the example they are setting for their kids. So, we were quite thrilled to see the whole family at church on Sunday!

So, President Pack has put an emphasis on helping with home and visiting teaching because it's something fairly infrequent and pretty much forgotten here.  So, we are being assigned families and a companion to try and help advance the work. I'm pretty excited. Anyway, for the 3rd hour
yesterday in church, for our combined lesson, they talked about home and visiting teaching and how it should be done. It wasn't a bad lesson, but I think they could've been a bit for fuerte. Anyway this new member stood up to comment and mentioned the fact that they have now lived in our ward for 5 weeks and no one has even talked to them or even smiled at them, let alone visit them. This member is from the US and him and his wife and two little kids just moved here so he can study. Anyway, I went to talk to him after because I had wanted to visit them, but figured if ever there was a time, it was now after him essentially crying for help. I talked to him and said we wanted to visit him and get to know his family. He said his wife would really use it because she just moved thousands of miles from family, which is hard, and moved into the least loving ward I have ever been in, which is also hard, and to top it off, was already struggling with her faith. So he said she has kind of hit a wall and doesn't want to go back. So, I'm hoping we can help.

In Las Palmas news, D baptized our investigator V! So stinking happy! Saw a picture today and just about died. I have never felt so happy and proud. V has come such a long way and how
amazing for D to be a part of that. I love them all in Las Palmas!

I don't feel like much more has happened this week that is terribly interesting. This week we have a mission tour and one of the Seventy will be coming to speak and then at the end of the week, there is stake conference and I'll get to see all the people I love from Alcobendas too, as well as hear from the Seventy and President and Hermana Pack.


To answer your question, roscon is not like fruit cake. It's wayyyyyyy better. It's delicious. You'll love it. Anyway, they only really sell it in December and the first couple weeks of January. But, we found it in a bakery this week, and it was super cheap! So, enjoy these photos.
It comes in a cute little fancy box and                                                                   looks like this.
Well, I love you all tons. Have a good week!
Hermana Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment