Monday, May 18, 2015

What a blessing it is to have the gospel!

Hola Familia!

Sorry I didnt write last week, but it´s because I skyped with mom and dad for mother´s day the day before p-day and then we went to Toledo for p-day so it didnt leave me much time. Anyway! There isnt too much to mention, just a bit here and there over the last couple weeks.

Ok, it is getting unbearable hot here. It was about 110 here the other day, and I live in the city, where it is all sidewalk, streets and highrises, so you better believe it was unbearable. I honestly thought I was going to die. People keep telling me Im more and more tan since the last time they saw me. I think it´s mostly because Im the pasty American here haha. I have ungly tan lines from my sandals and my watch though, so I am in fact getting some color.

We had a ward talent show run by the relief society, themed Egyptians and Romans. It was really really good! Super funny. The elders acted in a few of the different acts, and they were hilarious. They were in makeup and costumes too and it was super funny to see.

So, unfortunately S**** did not get baptized this week. But, he is still progressing and we have set another date! He is excited, but also nervous. Obviously our goal is not to baptize him when he doesnt feel ready, so putting off the date for him was sad, but of course reassuring that he at least feels comfortable. He loves meeting with us and asks all the time if he can come with us to other appointments with people, he´s just the best! His new baptismal date is for a couple weeks out, which is after transfers. We think Hermana Sykes will get transfered, but you can never be too sure. She feels upset that she may not be here for it, but who knows, she might be! His dad isnt terribly supportive of the church, which I think is one of his worries. We´re hoping that we can meet with his dad and talk to him too. It´s a little strange that his dad contacted us and asked us to meet with Smith and teach him, but then that he isnt terribly supportive. We´ll see! Something I am always trying to remind myself is that first, people have their agency and can choose for themselves. Thing number two, that the Lord´s timing is way better than mine!

We started teaching Abuelita´s son, J*** C*****. He is a member, but is not active. He is amazing. He has a really strong testimony, but he knows that he´s not really living in the best situation right now. Hopefully we can just work with him enough to encourage him to change his life where he needs to and come back to church. He really is an amazing person and of course, he is just like his mother and has such a great love for the missionaries!

J***** came to church! She is one of the less active references we received. Finalyl she came and she loved it!!!! She was so excited to be there. She kept saying how good it felt to be there and how she really wanted her husband to be a part of the church and to have a family in the church. She said she had such sweet memories of her childhood in the church and it was a great experience for her. She loved it so much, that she insisted she will be back next week. I cant help but think of the song, "Sweet Is the Peace the Gospel Brings." It´s so true! The gospel has so much power and ability to bring peace and happiness to our lives and especially to our families! What a blessing it is to have the gospel!

We had a mission conference last week and a zone conference this week. In the mission conference we talked about us getting iPads and how to use them appropriately and to fulfill our missionary purpose. I actually really enjoyed it! Also, during a break, I went up on the stand and lead "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" with our presiding General Authority! Super funny! At the Zone Conference, we I learned a lot. We talked about making and keeping covenants. There was a scripture shared, Doctrine and Covenants 58:31. They shared it, and then had us replace it with our names. Quién soy yo, dice Hermana Griffin, para prometer y no cumplir? I love it! That´s been all that has been on my mind this week! Am I completing my side of the promises and covenants Ive made?

That´s about it I think. Sorry! It´s getting hot and harder to talk to people, but Im surviving. That´s the main news Ive got for you!

Have a great week!

Hermana Griffin


Zone Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment