Monday, May 4, 2015

Success in Spain

Guess what! I finished the Book of Mormon for the first time in Spanish! WOOOO! It took way longer than I wish it wouldve, but I put it off for a while, who knows why. Im so happy though, and today, I started it again. I love it! It´s so amazing!

Anyway, this week was a little slow, but not bad!

I gave a talk in district meeting this week... I was the only one assigned a talk and was told I had to fill 20-25 minutes minimum. Crazy, right? No, the crazy thing is that I managed to fill 45 minutes! Clearly, the Lord answers prayers! My topic was on how to teach Atheists and people with very little religious background. I nailed it, if I do say so myself!

We´ve been meeting with S**** like crazy! He is getting close to his baptismal date and seems so ready! His baptism is planned for May 16th! Exactly 29 days from when we met him! It´s amazing how prepared he is! So exciting! He comes to church every week and all of the activities in the ward. He´s wonderful! He came to our ward activity this week and won almost everything!

We had a ward activity that was crazy fun! We did sack races, relay races, food eating competitions, a barbecue, karaoke, volleyball, etc. SO FUN! There were tons of people there and we had 2 different investigators and a menos activo who came! It went from 9:30 in the morning until 5 pm, so we were just there all day in the church basically, but we managed to get 5 references just from the activity! I took tons of pictures. Obviously, I cant send them all, but I´ll send some. during the food eating competition, one of the Elers participating suggested that they bless the food... the competition food... it was the most mormon thing Ive ever done. So funny. I fell during the sack race because the sacks were clearly child sized and now I have a nice giant purple bruise on my knee that everyone can see since Im always in a skirt. I also ran into a door this week and have a giant bruise on my arm. So I tell everyone my companion beats me up haha. Anyway, at this barbecue, they had steaks and salad for everyone, super good, right? Until they come around with these little bits of meat that are indistinguishable as to what it is. So we lean over to a lady and ask what they are. She says some word we dont know and then "de pollo"... so we know it´s something from a chicken, but not exactly what it is. So we tell her we dont know what it is and she starts describing what it is. It was chicken ovaries, people! Who the heck eats chicken ovaries. I tried it and I just could not do it. I have to stop asking what food is before I eat it.

We had a lesson in the street with this really awesome guy, but he would not give us his phone number, so we gave him our card, and expected to never hear from him again. That night, we had a call from a number we didnt know, and it was him! He called our card! No one ever calls our card! So happy! That´s never happened to me before.

We received a reference from the neighboring ward about 2 weeks ago for a menos activo who they had met in the street who lives in our ward. We finally met her this week and she is amazing! Her name is J*****. She is about 35, from Peru and has a baby named Lucas who is 6 months old. She told us she got baptized when she was 8 with her cousins, but then at about 13 or 14 she just stopped going to church because she started being more social and going out with friends and things. She doesnt remember much of the doctrine because she was so young, so we just taught her the restoration to remind her. She got super nostalgic and loved it! She remembers tidbits here and there, but not all, and there are still things she doesnt even know. She has had people from all religions in her house before, but she said she never liked them and she never felt what she had felt in that lesson we had with her that night. It´s amazing to see that she can feel the Holy Ghost and that she recognizes it. She is excited to read the Book of Mormon again and come to church again. It´ll be different for her Im sure since it´s been so long, but I know she´ll love it!

Yesterday was Mother´s day here in Spain. Because of the holiday there was like no one in the street and all of our lessons cancelled on us. Somehow, we still managed to fill all of our time and have 5 lessons yesterday! We had a street lesson with this really really drunk guy, which was funny and really sad. He really opened up and he told us what brought him to that point. He´s really going through some rough times, but I know the gospel could really bless him! We got his number, and gave him ours. I just hope his number is right, or that he´ll call us.

So that´s pretty much life here in Barrio 3 right now. We´re just chugging along. Have a wonderful week!

Love,
Hermana Griffin


Our big yellow Church


No comments:

Post a Comment